Skip to main content

Surviving to thriving

Describing what it’s like to live with PTSD and depression can sometimes be hard. If you haven’t experienced it, imagine a weight constantly pulling you down. Some days you have the strength to fight it, get on with life. Other days It debilitating and you just don’t have the energy to. Being depressed is obviously not something anyone chooses and can’t alway be easily solved. In reality someone can be completely consumed by mental illness but it can’t always be seen. There is no ‘one size fits all’ when it comes to treatment either. Everyone is so different. I have been receiving treatment since I was 14 (I’m now 20) that has included countless medications, therapy’s and hospital admissions . Over the years i’ve Learnt a great deal about myself and come across some amazing people. I’ve learnt how to talk, how to trust, how to smile and what it’s like to live again after years of just surviving. September last year I suffered quite a big relapse. I’d shut down, pushed everyone away and gave up fighting. 4 days later I woke up in intensive care after being in a coma. One of the scariest moments of my life. Once physically recovered I was moved to an adult psychiatric hospital prepared to give life another go. My brain however had other ideas. My PTSD took over my tired body.every day felt the same, i’d Open my eyes, take a deep breath and wonder what life was going to throw at me that day. I felt unsafe in my own mind, in fact I felt trapped there. Waiting for the next time i’d Be a mess on the floor wishing for the horrible memories to stop. It was a scary place to be. After a few months, brilliant support and some new medication I started to feel like I was getting the old me back. The bad days got less and my mind started to think of the future not the past. Recovery is a rollercoaster of things, maybe one day i’ll Be completely free, however for now I appreciate every little good thing no matter how small. I continue the fight with a smile on my face and just take each day as it Comes. I’m no longer just surviving, I’m lucky to have be alive and to have been given another chance.obviously it’s not my time yet. There are many more amazing things I want to do, so bring it on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit about this blog

Well i'm Poppy, i'm 18 and  i've been struggling with mental health problems for quite a few years now. So i thought i would start this blog to tell my story as i thought it might be helpful for anyone going through something similar or has friends or family struggling too. I often see 'recovery' Instagram and Tumblr accounts that simply aren't about recovery at all. I promise this blog will be positive and i hope to be able to show recovery really is possible if you want it enough. All my love   pops x

Turtles and butterfly’s

This is my first blog post for a while, so here’s a little update. It’s written by me and Chloe after an amazing weekend last week full of challenges but we sailed through. Together we share a lot of difficulties, when we speak about our past and current struggles it’s like looking in a mirror. Together we make each other so much stronger. Being best friends we find doing challenges we both fear much more beneficial and rewarding when we succeed together. We turn negative associations and memories into positive achievements. We often sit back and reminisce on how we used to present and act to others. “Crazy” some people might describe. We can now giggle about the little moments of crisis which we think is a good way to deal and recognise the recent past. You could say we have a very dark sense of humour at times but you kind of have too in these situations! We shock ourselves on how far we truly have come. We aren’t free of all our struggles and fears but oh my we are miles ahead of t